Moore County Referral Resource Guide

Below you will find a resource guide provided by the Moore County, NC planning department. Some of the housing rehabilitation assistance programs offered through the county may be used to improve malfunctioning wastewater systems. If you or someone you know could benefit from any of the following programs, please share. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Stephanie Cormack.


Stephanie Cormack
Moore County Planning Department
Administrative Assistant II
PO Box 905
Carthage, NC28327
phone 910-947-5010
fax 910-947-1303

Housing Rehabilitation Assistance


Habitat for Humanity Repair Ministry – Habitat for Humanity is able to serve a small number of applicants every year, typically between 10 to 15 households depending on resources and applicant needs.  Call 295-1934 to inquire whether your home qualifies by income and whether Habitat currently has the resources to serve your home. 

USDA Section 504 – Qualified homeowners meeting income guidelines could qualify for a USDA Section 504 grant or loan. If you are designated to receive a loan rather than a grant the USDA will offer terms of 1% interest on monthly payments spread out over 20 years. For $5,000 loan this means around $20 per month repayment. For more information, please contact the USDA’s Asheboro office at
336-629-4449 x4.

Weatherization Program – Want your home to feel warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer? Want to get rid of drafts and pay less for heat and electricity? Weatherization is a program run by Action Pathway formally known as Cumberland County Community Action Program (CCAP) that can make this happen. Call 910-223-0116 to set up an appointment. As with other housing rehab programs, the weatherization program is available only to Moore County residents who qualify on the basis of their income.

Independent Living Services thru Housing Assistance

SA-IH Program – Special-assistance In-home (SA-IH) is a Medicaid program intended to help disabled adults remain safely in their home as opposed to moving into an assisted or independent living facility. Potential participants must be eligible for full Medicaid and a doctor needs to fill out an “FL2” stating that the participant qualifies to be at an assisted living level of care.  The amount of funding varies depending on client’s income but typically ranges anywhere from $260 to $460 per month. Contact Kaela Wesley in the Department of Social Services at 947-7363. 

PACE Program – The PACE program serves Moore County residents (homeowner and renters) who are over the age of 55, require a certain level of health care, and live in ZIP codes 28315, 28326, 28373.  If you receive Medicaid and earn less than $981/month then the PACE program will be completely free of charge.  PACE provides in-home health care and has a team of professionals that will assess the living conditions of qualified applicants and act to improve those conditions.  Among the possible improvements is the construction of ramps at no cost.  Please contract 910-429-7221 for more details on the PACE program and to determine your eligibility.  



MMIA (Military Missions in Action) - Assisting veterans, wounded soldiers, & reaching out to the children of military families to help live independent lives by modifying their homes to accommodate their needs.  Call Tony Lennon @ 910-603-5999/910-638-4361. 

Independent Living Services – Independent Living strives to help keep disabled adults safely in their home as an alternative to assisted or independent living facility.  This assistance often takes the form of a ramp or grab bars in the bathroom. Eligible participants must have a severe disability that limits the ability to live independently. Contact IL at 910-486-1717. 

Amramp – A Wheelchair ramp can be rented for many different reasons, even as little as one day.  They are great a short-term rehabilitation, rental properties, or anyone with disabilities. Purchase is also available for long term use.  For additional information please contact Amramp and ask for Landon Goodson at 888-715-7598.

Habitat for Humanity Repair Ministry – Habitat for Humanity is able to serve a small number of applicants every year, typically between 10 to 15 households depending on resources and applicant
needs. Call 295-1934 to inquire whether your home qualifies by income and whether Habitat currently has the resources to serve your home.

Legal Assistance & Credit Counseling

 Legal Aid of North Carolina - Can provide free legal advice & counseling to low and moderate income families as well as individuals.  Legal Aid’s primary goal is to provide equal access to attorneys and justice for all people and also to remove legal barriers that people may face to economic opportunity.  Call 866-219-5262 for more information. Specific Legal Aid Projects Include: 

  • Mortgage Foreclosure Project (MFP) – Seeks to keep low income and moderate income working families in possession of their homes during foreclosure and provide them free legal advice.
  • North Carolina Home Defense Project (HDP) – Legal Aid’s MFP team partners with various other legal services organizations across the state to help save homes and reduce foreclosures. Volunteer attorneys and legal services partners use legal resources and skills to seek reasonable loan modifications or other solutions to a foreclosure.  Every city & county of North Carolina is represented.
  • Consumer Debt and Tax Assistance Program – Low income residents of certain North Carolina counties may qualify for free income tax preparation services through this program. Lawyers can also help individuals deal with predatory lending (such as payday loans), illegal debt collection practices, and other consumer issues.

Clear Point Credit Counseling -  Provides credit budget counseling, debt management, housing counseling for pre-purchase of a home, foreclosure prevention counseling, reverse mortgage, and bankruptcy counseling.  Call 877-877-1995 for more information.

Land Loss Prevention Project – The Land Loss Prevention Project assists low income homeowners with resolving difficulties with property titles, HEIRS property and possibly wills for those that qualify.  Contact them @ 800-672-5839 to determine eligibility.

Education, Employment and Transitional Housing

Sandhills Community Action Program (SCAP) - Programs include: 

  • Section 8 Housing rental assistance for qualifying low-income households.  SCAP also has a family self sufficiency program for Section 8 voucher holders.
  • Stars self sufficiency program – This program connects qualified low income with educational opportunities, job skills training, housing assistance, and qualified tuition assistance.
  • Transitional housing for homeless mothers and children – SCAP provides low cost transitional housing and some services for up to 24 months.  Residents have an individualized goal program to be completed within a 24 month period for more permanent housing needs.  Contact Nina Walker at 910-947-5675

Southern Pines Housing Authority- Income based assistance for either transitional or permanent housing for US Citizens living within Moore County or moving to Moore County.  Contact 910-692-2042 for eligibility guidelines.

Regional Partnership Workforce Development Board -  Serves Alamance, Montgomery, Moore, Orange and Randolph Counties. Offers youth programs (ages 16 to 21) for low income individuals with barriers e.g. foster cases, learning disabilities, offenders, school dropouts and parents or soon to be parents.  Provides employee skills training, possible job placement, tutoring, life skills training, transportation needs and support services to keep a student in school. Contact Linda Parker, regional director for Moore County area @ 910-725-1430. 

Vocational Rehabilitation- Assisting people in Moore County with disabilities.  Helping disabled individuals with job placement, counseling, restoration and training.  Contact 910-295-1530 to start application process. 

The Employment Security Commission of NC- Providing job listings,  referrals, resume preparation assistance, & placement assistance. Visit or contact 919-733-4329


Sandhills Community Action Program (SCAP)-Providing homeownership, equity conversion & default resolution counseling. Call 910-947-5675 x26 for more details. 

Moore Habitat for Humanity- Providing construction & sales of affordable home for low-income households. Contact 910-295-1934 regarding eligibility requirements.


Emergency Shelters

Family Promise - Providing shelter, meals, case management for transitional housing for homeless families with minor children within Moore County.   Contact Dana Fierro (case manager) at 910-944-7149 for more information.

Friend to Friend - Provides safe housing for abused women with or without children.  Contact the 24 hour crisis hotline at 910-947-3333 for locations. 

Recovery Housing

Bethesda House -Substance abuse halfway house for men.  Contact 910-944-7700 for location & admission details.

Bethany House - Substance abuse halfway house for woman. Contact 910-944-7700 for location & admission details.

Other Resources

Moore County Department of Aging - Located at 8040 Hwy 15/501 in West End Senior Enrichment Center offering-Family Caregiver Program, In-Home Services, Nutrition Programs, Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP), Transportation, Operation Fan/Heat Relief,  and more.  Mission is to provide services that promote the well-being of older adults.  Please contact 910-215-0900 directly for more detailed information or visit e.pdf.

Benefit Bank –Several Moore County agencies have certified Benefit Bank counselors who can determine whether you qualify to receive more assistance from programs such as: Food and Nutrition Services, Medicare Rx Extra Help, NC Rx, Work First, Medicaid, Energy Assistance, and others.  Among the Moore County locations with Benefit Banks: Northern Moore Family Resource Center (Robbins, 948-4324), Communities in Schools (Pinehurst, 295-1072), Moore Free Care Clinic (Southern Pines, 246-5333), and the Arc of Moore County (Southern Pines, 692-8272.) 

Sandhills Coalition – If you are a resident in Moore County with food, clothing, financial needs (including utilities, rent & medical), transportation, & employment services, Sandhills Coalition may be able to assist. Those seeking assistance must meet financial guidelines and have a valid Moore County ID and Social Security card.  Sandhills Coalition also has a resale store that provides household items and clothing at discounted rates.  To learn more about this program contact them at 693-1600. The Sandhills Coalition is located at 1500 West Indiana Avenue in Southern Pines, NC 28387. 

American Red Cross – In the event of natural disaster the Red Cross can provide temporary shelter, food, and clothing for residents in Moore and Richmond Counties. To learn more about services contact Cynthia Bradley at (910) 692-8571.  Or visit them at 115 E Pennsylvania Avenue in Southern Pines, NC 28387. 
United Way 211 Services– dial 211 directly or contact the Moore County office at 910-692-2413. Provides callers with information about, and referrals to, human services including: 

  • Basic Human Needs Resource: food banks, clothing, shelters, rent assistance, utility assistance.
  • Physical and Mental Health Resources: medical information lines, crisis intervention services, support groups, counseling, drug and alcohol intervention, rehabilitation, health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare, maternal health, children’s health insurance programs.
  • Employment Support: unemployment benefits, financial assistance, job training, transportation assistance, education programs.
  • Support for Older Americans and Persons with Disabilities: home health care, adult day care, congregate meals, Meals on Wheels, respite care, transportation, and homemaker services.
  • Support for Children, Youth and Families: Quality childcare, Success by 6, after school programs, Head Start, family resource centers, summer camps and recreation programs, mentoring, tutoring, protective services.

Salvation Army of Southern Pines - Serves Moore County residents with assistance programs that can provide limited amounts of emergency financial assistance with paying for utilities, rent, and clothing expenses.  Contact Mini Turner at 910-725-1054. 

Department of Social Services (DSS) - Can provide emergency assistance with rent, utilities, heat, food and medical bills.  Contact 910-947-2436 for eligibility requirements.
Sandhills Center for MH/DD/SA-Providing services for those with mental health, substance abuse and developmental disabilities. Contact 910-673-9111 for these services. 

Division of Services for the Blind - Providing families and individuals with education, support, in-home assistance for the visually impaired.  Visit or contact them at 866-222-1546/919-733-9822

Services for the Deaf and the Hard of Hearing- Advocacy, information, counseling, skills development and tools for Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Deaf-Blind and Speech-Impaired individuals and their families. Call 1-800-851-6099

Dogwood HIV Care Consortium- Providing confidential medical, housing assistance, & other support services available within Moore County.  Call 910-737-5010 for additional information. 

Moore County Health Department - Programs and services include community health assessment, health promotion, communicable disease, epidemiology, personal health/clinical services, and environmental health.  With current involvement in a wide range of collaborative community health activities designed to protect and promote health through prevention and control of disease and injury.  Visit the Moore County Health Department at or contact 910-947-3300.