.1960 MAINTENANCE OF PRIVIES
(a) Any person owning or controlling the property upon which a privy is located shall be responsible for these requirements:
(1) The privy building shall afford a reasonable degree of protection from bad weather conditions.
(2) When the pit becomes filled to within 18 inches of the top of the ground, the privy building shall be moved to
a new pit and the old pit completely covered with earth.
(3) If the pit caves in, a new pit shall be provided.
(b) The tenant or person occupying the property shall be responsible for these requirements:
(1) The walls, floors, and seat of the privy and grounds immediately adjacent to the building shall be kept in a
clean and decent condition.
(2) Fowl and other animals shall not be harbored in the privy building.
(3) Seat cover shall be hinged and closed at all times when the privy is not in use.
(4) Flies shall be excluded from the pit at all times.
(5) Ashes, garbage, and trash shall be kept out of the pit.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A-335(e) and (f); Eff. July 1, 1982;
Amended Eff. January 1, 1990.